Sunday, June 27, 2010

Back in New Jersey

Other than it taking less time than I expected, there wasn't anything in any way eventful about tonight's driving. I left home with a beep-beep and a wave to Nanda, Alex, and Libby, gassed up at the Hopkinton Gulf/Cumberland Farms, and three and a half hours later pulled into Alex and Becky Langlois's driveway. 217.5 miles are behind me.

Alex (my friend, not my son) was up waiting for me, watching a rehash of today's World Cup action. He had a futon made up for me with a towel folded on the comforter. There was even a mint on the pillow, thanks to Becky's thoughtfulness. This is a nice way to start two weeks on the road.

The drive from the New York/New Jersey border down 287 to Morristown is, without debate, nothing special, especially when driving at night so you can't see anything anyway. Still, I feel comfort and happiness just being in New Jersey again. Even after living in Massachusetts for the last twelve years (and fifteen of the last sixteen), this part of the Garden State still feels familiar and friendly. I don't know how many years it's been since I came down 287, got off at the Madison Avenue exit, swooped right and then left at the light to head back toward Madison, but I did it tonight as if on autopilot, like I'd done it yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that.

Maybe tomorrow I'll extend the good feelings a little longer with breakfast at the Nautilus Diner or, if I get a slightly later than intended start, a taylor ham and egg from the deli formerly known as the Simo Sub Shop. Then it's out 78 and across the Delaware River into Pennsylvania. Exciting Ohio and scintillating Indiana await beyond the Appalachians!

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy breakfast and have a great drive today! I put up the map last night so that we can track your progress. Love from, N,A & L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the start of your trip. I hope you’ll take pause as you travel through the Lehigh Valley (Easton, Bethleham, Allentown) as my alma mater – Muhlenberg College is spitting distance from Rt. 78.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did think of you when driving through eastern Pennsylvania, Steven. I-78 isn't a beautiful road, and Bethlehem Steel is Dante-esque, but the Lehigh Valley is really pretty. I didn't check out Muhlenberg, however, so I'll withhold judgement on that.

    ReplyDelete