Saturday, June 19, 2010

Seven Days to Launch

With a week to go until I hit the highways, I've started to consider my book list. Here's what's coming to mind so far:

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer--required summer reading for school, but it looks like it might be pretty good anyway.

The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian--a book I picked for my book club. Early feedback is that it is terrible. Thanks, anyway, Jenny Hatton.

The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey--I loved reading this last summer. When I think of the Four Corners states, I now think of Edward Abbey's take on them. Although I'm pretty sure I've dismissed the idea, I was considering visiting the Glen Canyon Dam just because of this book. This is, I think, the one book that my friend Jon Poto has ever recommended to anybody.

The Fool's Progress: An Honest Novel by Edward Abbey--I don't own this yet, but it looks like a good road trip book if ever there was one.

Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather--Classic picture of the desert Southwest that I think I enjoyed for more than just its descriptions. Perhaps I should also take the middle portion of Cather's The Professor's House, the only section I recommend to anybody. One or both of these novels were recommended by Liz Perry years ago.

Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon--I really liked large parts of this book, and it might be worthwhile to review what he had to say about places I'll be seeing. I also might pick up his newest book, Roads to Quoz: An American Mosey, if it's in paperback.

Rand McNally 2011 Road Atlas--an obvious pick for those who eschew the infernal dashboard GPS. There aren't many reads more worthwhile than a book of maps, I think.

That's all I've got in my head right now. I am, of course, open to suggestions if you've got any. I'm especially looking for some non-fiction on water and development in the Southwest. Three readers on Amazon.com seem to like Visions in the Desert: Carl Hayden and Hydropolitics in the American Southwest, but it looks pretty dry. (Guffaw! Tres bon mot!)

4 comments:

  1. How come no one comments on your blog posts, Carbon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm writing to myself, for the most part. I don't think anybody reads the tripe I compose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi corbett I'm using my new droid voice recognition system Let's see how well it works I really like your last blog post Particularly the use of the word the fall it means the fall win 8 g g a f f hold on a minute g u f f a w this voice recognition thing is awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll enjoy the Wyoming through Utah drive. It's a pretty drive with such contrasting colors and scenes. The red rocks of Utah to the bluish hills in Wyoming.

    ReplyDelete